Friday, October 3, 2014

Carrot Harvest

Since we expanded our tiny vegetable garden this year, I've tried a few things I didn't have room for in the past.  I had no luck with cantaloupe (I got one small melon), but the carrots did alright.  I forgot to do my research before I planted them, so it didn't occur to me that they might not do so well in clay soil.  When I complained that they were on the small side, my mom said, "Carrots grow in sandy soil".  You're never too old to need Mom's advice.  I'm going add sand to the area where the carrots will go next year and see what happens.

I know carrots are cheap to buy, so why grow them?  I'm trying to eat more locally grown, organic produce and you can't get any more local and organic than your own backyard.  They're fresher, they taste fantastic, and the best part is that every time we eat them in salad, coleslaw, soup, or carrot cake I get to say, "I grew these carrots!"  I LOVE saying "I grew these (fill in the blank here)"  It feels really good!


I have a lot of carrot cake recipes, because that's the best way to use carrots, but this is the best carrot soup!  It's quick and easy if you use a food processor or Salad Shooter to slice the carrots.

                                                         Carrot and Coriander Soup

3 T. butter
1 lb. carrots, sliced       
11/2 t. ground coriander1 small onion, chopped
5 C. chicken stock
6 oz. plain yogurt
salt & pepper

Melt butter in a large saucepan.  Add onions and carrots.  Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.  Add coriander and cook for one more minute.  Add stock and salt & pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Puree with a stick blender or food processor.  Add yogurt and heat through.

Makes 4 Cups

I always double this recipe and add things like kale or spinach.  If you add things before you puree, no one will know what you've added.  Chef's Surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment