Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Rain in My Barrel

It rained for a little while yesterday.  Not really enough to give the garden a good soak, but enough to fill my rain barrel.  Going to the rain barrel with my watering can and finding it empty is such a disappointment. There's something about rainwater.  When things are really dry, you can keep them alive by watering with the hose, but one good rain, and everything springs right back.  It's like nature adds a secret ingredient!  That's why I much prefer to water my vegetables, window boxes, and pots from the rain barrel when I can.


I have my rain barrel located just a few feet from the vegetable garden to make it really convenient.  There is a spigot, but I'm too impatient to fill the watering can that way.  I usually just remove the lid and dip the can in the barrel.


It's surprising how little rain it takes to fill the barrel.  I've only used the hose to water a couple of times all summer. I'm thinking of adding a second one on the other side of the house.  Maybe that will eliminate the disappointment of finding an empty rain barrel.

It just started raining as I'm writing this.  My empty barrel will be full again. Yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment